Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Don Quixote of US Politics

After moving to Iowa in 2010, I had the opportunity to experience the runup to the Iowa Caucuses first hand, and took full advantage of the craziness.

Working as a volunteer for Ron Paul, who turned out to be the darling of college campuses, and the pariah of the mainstream Republican establishment, I got involved enough to actually become a delegate to the district GOP convention and one of the voting members from my precinct at the local county party affiliate.

But as the year rolled along, the factions at the party level, both state and local, became so sharp and intense, that I decided partisanship was not for me.  So, I changed my party affiliation following the election to "no party", more or less in a huff, and resigned my post at the county party level.

Now here we are 3 years later, and I find myself volunteering again, this time for Son of Ron.  Down to campaign headquarters I went, working the phones (again); it was the same drill as 4 years prior, same phone system, except for a small improvement here and there which no doubt came from volunteer feedback on the prior campaign.

The only difference this time around?  No party involvement for me.  Just working for the Don Quixote of US Politics (and his kid who has taken on the mantle of tilting at windmills).  It may be futile, but it's principled.  :)








1 comment:

  1. Hi - would love to see the "white" font ink through out the blog - it's really hard to read the black on blue background :-)!

    ReplyDelete