Friday, December 1, 2017

Leaving what you love

As my job search continues, the several options I had been exploring (and some, interviewing for) have started to fall off the radar screen.  Right now I am down to two, both fairly assured that I may get an offer soon.  Neither are in Des Moines.  It's looking more and more like I will have to move.  On one of the jobs, Diane and I are now starting to consider how I might move, but finagle keeping our home where it is, so as to retire in it in 4 years, but still see each other regularly.  On the other job, that would not be possible, so I am wondering if we could get Jimmy to consider also moving there, so he could be near us like he is here.

Earlier this week, I found myself standing at the top of the staircase to the lower level and nearly began to cry.  I had an overwhelming feeling of loss, saying to myself "I don't want to leave here."  For a guy who's moved around as much as I have, it feels strange to have such a strong attachment to a place.  I don't know what to make of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment