Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Falling Upward

During this process of evaluating how to approach the next few years - retire, work part-time, work full-time (same industry or a new one) - I have found myself thinking about what's truly important to attend to in the remainder of my life here on this planet.

(Ha.  That reminds me of listening to an old Larry Norman album I owned with the title: Only Visiting This Planet.  True that, Larry.)

In a recent visit with my pastor in which we compared notes on self-examination, he recommended to me the book "Falling Upward" by Richard Rohr.  In it, Rohr posits that there are two halves to life, the one in which we discover and form ourselves into a unique container called "who I am", and the one in which we make the best use of that container and contents to accomplish that which we were set on earth to do.

Seems to me that right now is an excellent time to think about that idea, settle on a definition of self and on a second-half-of-life mission, and then lay out a plan to execute that mission.

Okay then.

Let's begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment