Sunday, September 3, 2017

The Other Shoe Dropped

In my previous post I talked about the anticipation of waiting for a new management team to make all their final decisions around organizational structure (watching company officers be let go was rather like seeing tin cans being shot off a split rail fence one by one).

Well, this week it was my turn.  I happened to be working remotely Thursday when I got a call from HR telling me my position was being eliminated in a reorganization.  Friday was to be my last day, so they said to be there at 7AM to turn in my badge and pick up my severance paperwork.

It wasn't a surprise, really, I felt the odds were pretty good that I would get painted with the same brush as many others who went before me, and indeed I was.  The old saying is true: "the new broom sweeps clean".  Very.

Still, in each week that went by that say me still on the payroll, I was grateful to still be employed.  And just about a year ago, I was also nearly on the cutting room floor so to speak, and managed to get a reprieve by taking on a tough new assignment, which was not really given enough time to complete, but it still gave me about another year of employment, so I'm glad of it.

But now, it's time to dust off the old resume', ring up some recruiters, and see what's out there.  Since I turn 62 this fall, I theoretically could retire, but that's not financially prudent, as I need to work about 4 1/2 more years at my current pay scale to be finish off my house mortgage.  THEN I can retire!  And finding something at 62 at my current pay... [gulp] is not going to be easy.

So as they say, "life is what happens while you're making other plans", and "the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray".  And so they have.  The question now is, can we get them back on track, or will we have to make some major adjustments to those plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment