Sunday, January 15, 2017

Fandom and Identification

During the NFL playoffs, Diane and I wear our Packer T-shirts on gameday (like today!  #GoPack).

We identify ourselves as followers of that specific pro football team. I also have Packer gear in my office, stickers on my car, autographed items by Packer players and ... wait for it ... season tickets to all their home games at Lambeau Field.  Not to mention that in my chest freezer I have two boxes of genuine sod from Lambeau - real Frozen Tundra!  Man, I identify with that team.

What it made me wonder about is how do I identify myself as a follower of Jesus? The Scriptures teach that identification with Christ is an essential element of a faith that leads to salvation.  Theologians like N.T. Wright have devoted entire books to the concept of a believer's identity being tied up with Jesus Christ, it is that important that we do so.  

So, what evidence is there that I identify with Jesus and depend on Him for salvation?  I certainly have the gear (Bibles, study materials, t-shirts, and mugs) at home, in my office, in my car... never did get Jesus' autograph (or a piece of the True Cross), but nevertheless, there is evidence.  There's even ... wait for it ... a Masters' Degree in Theology from Bethel Seminary.  I suppose I could go up there and cut some sod from the campus lawn and put it in my freezer as further proof...

Beyond the gear, I do also sprinkle my emails and conversation at work occasionally with tangential references to Scripture and the stories Jesus told.  I've preached sermons, sang inspirational songs in worship, led Bible studies, helped to grow up new believers into a more mature faith, given funds to people and organizations that advance the Kingdom of God, etc.

Still, I hear in the back of my mind the Apostle Paul saying to the Corinthian church:

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing."

This reminds me that the gear means nothing, the acts of devotion mean nothing.  What is telling is my heart attitude, which no one really sees.  The outward appearance of fandom can easily mislead others; we can even deceive ourselves into thinking we identify with the object of our devotion because of all the things we do.  As God said to Samuel when he was looking for a replacement for King Saul, "the Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”  May my heart be true, though all else be outward show.


No comments:

Post a Comment